Dedication of a street to St. Josemaría in Fiuggi (Italy)
On Saturday, June 23, in Fiuggi, a city noted for its thermal springs in the hills to the east of Rome, a street was dedicated to St. Josemaría Escriva, who spent some days there in the summer of 1946. The Prelate of Opus Dei took part in the ceremony.
At city hall, the mayor read the official decree recognizing the presence in Fiuggi of “a saint who left a deep mark on the Christian path of the twentieth century.” The Prelate, on his part, expressed his appreciation to the city for the honor accorded to St. Josemaría and promised his prayers “for all who live in Fiuggi or who will do so in the future.”
Following the ceremony a large group of people accompanied the Prelate to the new “Via San Josemaría Escrivá,” a pleasant tree-lined street where, after a brief greeting to the civil authorities, the Prelate blessed a plaque. Finally, in the church of Our Lady Queen of Peace, Bishop Echevarría celebrated Holy Mass. In his homily he recalled the importance of the work that the saint carried out in Fiuggi in 1946.
Romana, n. 44, January-June 2007, p. 148.